Wednesday, April 13, 2005

MINDOUT' 18th-24th April


tulip
Originally uploaded by andrewstenning.

National Depression week.
18th-24th April 2005

A mysterious – painful and tormenting illness, DEPRESSION!
STOP THE STIGMA & IGNORANCE!!!!

Just after the seasonal-UN affective Ness of December, January and Feb it got into me. I know when I’m about to get ‘clotted’ when I forget my pin number of my credit card completely, and everything becomes DEAD!. A white infinity of gloom – lack-lust and sluggish, (A melancholic senselessness). It’s something you can’t understand unless you have been through it, and it’s such a twisted emotional language a sort of abstract- that will not get you to ‘Pull your socks up’ it takes time ,hard-work and understanding from people around you.
-WOE is me! When depression works it’s way into my interconnections I feel better off dead! But after a visit to the nut house-(hospital) and a packet of Tricyclics along with a packet of seeds, some TLC and a redirecting of my negative thoughts + gardening i can slowly walk into the Spring sunshine again, and the storm thank GOD is abating. The time in hospital was not great as you can imagine (in one big inhuman moment I ‘past out’ with catharsis. But it wasn’t ‘One flew over the cockoo’s nest BAD, not at all. The NHS realy is very good and understands this as a serious illness. It also gave me a focus to get out and be back in gardens- so I battled and bluffed and did just that. Strange though that my trek across the Sahara with it’s two nasty bites got me more idle attention then this Molotov cocktail going off in my mind. People still don’t understand!!!.

The good news.
I strongly believe that gardens and gardening are a great tool in the line of defence of the 'BIG D' (they are creative –physical and outside) Which is one of the reasons I’m working towards getting a community garden/environmental centre in my own town, and from now on going to push with help, to get gardens on the battleground of mental health. The time of NDW could not be better as I have found out that spring is one of the worst times for mental health, I sort of die back with the garden in Autumn just like everyone and winter is a hike up the mountain , but it’s just being down, Not the abstract surreal mind set. The word depression is banded around so much that the spinning in either with physical and mental torment doesn’t fit it at all.
I used to get pissed but this makes things worse ( waking up at three am in the middle of London doesn’t do much for the EGO. So not drinking is a rule never to be broken by me)also to make me feel not so loony tune I always read the poems of the legendary ‘goon’ and British comic genius Spike Milligan, He had the illness in it’s most powerful form (although any , weather- clinical, bipolar,reactive,endogenous or post-natal are all overwhelming in impact, and highly distressing!) ‘Anyone who can call the future King “A grovelling bastard” , is all right in my book.and his book ‘depression and how to survive it’- written with his psychologist is spot on. Stop the ignorance & stigma of mental health , it’s not just the Woolf’s Tchaikovskys and the Cobain’s it’s the postman, nurse, gardener ect ect and I wouldn’t wish it on G Dubya!.


www.depressionalliance.org

depression week is an appeal to raise awareness and fight the stigma!

photograph and text by Andrew Stenning 2005.

10 Comments:

Blogger asdfasdfasdf said...

glad you're feeling more "in"--
i'm so thankful your ideas and words are out Here

depression is a horrid mind-fuck. susan sontag once said something about envying the parnoid--"they actually think people are paying attention to them." with depression, it's often treated by peers and family as some sort of psychosomatic experience unless you're around knowledgable people. i'm so glad you found some who validated your experience to help you push through.

soak up the spring tonic, my friend!

April 15, 2005 at 6:03 AM  
Blogger andrewstenning said...

YES
Mindfuck week! that's what they should call it ..
"Depression is melancholy minus it's charms" Susan Sontag.

"The new rose trembles with early beauty.
The babe sees the beckoning carmine,
The tiny hand clutches the cruel stem,
the rose is silent, life already telling lies.
By SPIKE
sorry about the strange lexicography! I was usE'#***ING A libertarian computer....andrew

April 15, 2005 at 9:55 AM  
Blogger Red said...

Wonderful post Andrew. Glad you are feeling better. Your photographs are wonderful. (Red Writer)

April 24, 2005 at 3:52 AM  
Blogger Brother Roy said...

Horticultural Society

October 3, 2005 at 3:23 PM  
Blogger Brother Roy said...

http://www.broroy.com/Friendship.html ">Emperor Fountain

October 4, 2005 at 4:36 PM  
Blogger Tom Naka said...

Hi i am totally blown away with the blogs people have created its so much fun to read alot of good info and you have also one of the best blogs !! Have some time check my link of health care staffing services
.

October 6, 2005 at 4:51 PM  
Blogger Ezio said...

Have you ever seen Asparagus this BIG
They grow up to 15in long and 2in wide.
zen gardening

October 8, 2005 at 6:30 PM  
Blogger Jack Naka said...

Your blog is excellent - keep it up! Don't miss visiting this site about sallys beauty. It pretty much covers sallys beauty related stuff.

October 9, 2005 at 9:42 PM  
Blogger brian said...

Chek this place out it helped me fry electronics

October 27, 2005 at 2:19 PM  
Blogger Stan said...

Do you want to grow your own House Plants, Flowers, Trees and Shrubs for FREE....Grow them to landscape your yard, grow them for fun and for profit....Growing small plants in your backyard is one of the most rewarding things you will ever do in your life. Not to mention the money you can make. Getting started in this home based business is really easy. All you have to do is start rooting cuttings of your favorite plants (I'll show you how to do that), and you are off and running. Any time you have a few extra minutes just stick a few cuttings. Before you know it you will have thousands of plants valued at several thousand dollars.

http://thehomeworkco.com/freeplants.html

December 13, 2005 at 9:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home