Wednesday, October 06, 2004

OCT 10th-16th [DIARY]

There ought to be gardens for all months in the year,
In which, severally, things of beauty may be then in season.

- Sir Francis Bacon

It was one of those perfect English autumnal days
Which occur more frequently in memory than in life.

- P. D. James


September 29th was the feast of St. Michael around the time of the autumnal equinox; this marks the period of the earth beginning to die. St Michael was seen as a protector of dark forces and was very popular in the Middle Ages, Now however he is known for his asters! [That take his name] Michaelmas daisies [aster amellu]. They spray their influence all over gardens now in abundance, If you can catch sight of these on a milky sunny Autumn day it is something to remember, No pretension just the perfect daisy flower.

Although we have winter to look to, this is one of the most prolific and fantastic months in the outdoor calendar the lightning speed of change is comparable to spring. As I said last week you have to be quick and I think the quotes above explain the whole sensation.

As the conkers fall from the horse chestnut and the trees change coats one by one it creates a time of memory and thought, we know this is natures last smile of the departing year.

Leaf fall seems to get later every year, if we cast I minds back to October 16th 1987 and the great storm of the south east of England it was the amount of leaves still on the trees and the saturated ground that caused this destruction one third of kew garden’s trees were lost lets hope we don’t get any gales this week!

I love October most for it’s light on bright days taking a walk in a garden is like looking at a stained glass window, a hue of honey that gives the best autumn days a fragile feeling of things slipping away. Old summer perennial stems reflect the evening sun and come alive again. The leaf of geraniums and their new rich red hue complement this and add to the new look of the garden. I take this in on a daily basis and with things as they are around us now I ask just WHY!

Thing to look out for this week.
Apples they have been their best this year and not too much wasp damage.
Anemone [Japanese] still flowering their heads off.
Parthenocissus tricuspidata [Virginia creeper] the change is dramatic.
Also still at it are summer bedding gazinias are as good now as in the summer months, it’s such a same to pull them out.

Things to do
Any frost tender plants should go in now as frost is on its way, a good tip with large specimens is to stick some canes in the pot around them and then wrap in Clingfilm. As well as acting like I mini greenhouse round the plant you will be amazed at your skill at postmodern architecture.

Bulb of the week…. Garlic an easy and hardy crop to grow.

Photographs of this week should be up on Wednesday. To see more of my photographs click here.

4 Comments:

Blogger Zeppara said...

Have you ever seen Asparagus this BIG
They grow up to 15in long and 2in wide.
gardening for dummy

October 8, 2005 at 4:15 PM  
Blogger Jack Naka said...

Help! I am lost. I was searching for beauty tip and somehow ended up here. How that happened I don't know, however I do like your Blog a lot. Would you mind if I add your Blog to my favorites page so others can visit?

October 9, 2005 at 9:29 PM  
Blogger Silvianne said...

I just came across a great gardening website called AtlGardening.com*. Not only does it feature articles for the gardening enthusiast, but has become a great texas gardening
resource for me in my landscaping effort. The webmaster of this site has recently added a book section that seemed to expand everytime I go there.
What I like about it is that I get instant access to the book and don't have to wait for the book(s) to arrive which of course saves me money.....no shipping charges.... in some cases. Great idea. I love it. You must check it out today. Let me know what you think.

October 23, 2005 at 4:32 PM  
Blogger natan05 said...

I have been reviewing the net for awhile and it looks like I am chasing rainbows to come across answers. Finally some progress when I found your blog. I really enjoyed your most current post.

A fellow blogger,
down comforter

January 6, 2006 at 10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home